Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dear Lake:

Starting with Kai, Ben has made it a point to write down some of the details and a few of his thoughts and feelings surrounding the event of each child's birth. He is so good at putting his thoughts into words and I wanted to share what he wrote about Lake's arrival. So sweet...

December 20, 2009
Lake,

Life has been on hold for the last week and a half as your mom and I have awaited your arrival. We were told that you would arrive and December 14th at the latest. When December 14th came and went we spent every second in anticipation and excitement. Finally on Thursday December 17th your mother called me at work and told me that, “baby Lake is coming very soon.” I was able to finish a full day’s work and come home to help the family be fed and bathed. We put your older brother and sister to bed and Mom and I sat down on the couch and talked about her consecutive contractions. By 10:00pm Mom thought it would be a good idea to get in the tub and relax, I was very sleepy and fell asleep. Mom tried to sleep but her contractions were growing more and more painful. At 11:30pm she woke me up and told me that we had better get things loaded in the car because she thinks it’s time to bring Baby Lake into this world. Grandma Lu was very excited to stay at the house with big brother and sister as Mom and Dad left for the hospital. We arrived at the hospital around 1:00am. Your Mother had decided about 4 months ago that she would give birth to you naturally. I supported her decision but was very scared for her. We told the nursing staff of our desire to avoid medication and they were very accommodating and put us in the labor and delivery room. It wasn’t until 7:00am when Dr. Beirer broke mom’s water that the action began. By 8:00am your Mother was in very serious pain. Each contraction brought with it a very tight grasp and almost uncontrollable breathing for your mom. I stood at her bedside attempting to comfort and calm her. Seeing her struggle and shake brought tears to my eyes but I needed to be strong and supportive. It was her that was experiencing a pain that she’s never felt before. I stroked her hair, face, and arm and told her that she was doing great. Finally the birthing crew entered the room and mom and I knew that you were moments away from being in our arms. Mom stayed strong and continued to push and focus. Not once did she lose control or burst out in tears or screams although I could tell that she was very close to doing so. The Doctor came into the room around 8:20am and after 15 minutes of leg grabbing pushing, by mom of course, the most precious sound of your first breathe and scream entered the room along with an overwhelming feeling of peace and happiness. Your mother and I both smiled and cried as you were placed on mommy’s chest to be held and loved. You were perfect, a beautiful little angel who brought a very sweet spirit into our lives on Friday December 18th, 2009 at 8:35am. We spent the first two hours of your mortal life holding you, feeding you, and loving you. Your mother has felt a very special connection with you since the day she found out she was pregnant with you. She has been so excited to meet you and nurture you. I too have enjoyed the thought of you being a part of our family. Life has been less hectic the past 9 months, I’m finally finished with school, our home is built, and it has been very easy to focus on you and your arrival to our home. The first 24 hours of your live have been heavenly for your mother and me. You truly are a blessing to our family. As I hold you, kiss you, and smell you, I can’t help but smile out of joy; you are finally here!

Dad

13 comments:

Wehrle said...

Ash! I am so glad you are back!! I am so far behind on my blog that I may never catch up!! I loved the letter from Ben, what a great dad!! And wow Ash.... could you get any more amazing, all natural?? You are the best mom, your kids are so lucky to have you!! And I am glad I get to share a b-day with your cute little Lake!

Youngbergs said...

That is so, so sweet! And way to go on having her natural! You rock!

Irene said...

Ok, I know I have been absent from your life for a while so it dosen't say much that I didn't know you went natural. But, I didn't know you went natural!! I have one question......would you do it again? I've been considering. (no i'm not pregnant. I just can't help but think about it.)

Brittany said...

What a sweet letter! Your daughter is so darling! Congratulations on your newest addition. Way to go on going natural! My epidural ran out on my last one and it was so painful.

Cayde and Brianna Taylor Family said...

This is BEAUTIFUL and a precious keepsake that Lake will cherish forever. She is one blessed baby to have such awesome parents. She is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her. One of these days when the stars align and all of our children are well we will have to get together. I miss you guys and I am SOOOO glad Cayde is working with Ben again. He is just happier when he has a dose of Ben in his day. :) Well your little one is probably not so little anymore and we need updated pics. So, I know that the blog has been on shut down for a while so either email some or post some more :) You guys are wonderful and truly are friends for life. Hope all is well.....and P.S. Ash you amaze me! I am so proud of you and your awesomeness in the natural birthing. That is so great. I mean that. Cayde told me the story about after and how you just held her right after she was born....That is BEAUTIFUL. Wow. Well this post is long enough. Hopefully see you soon.

Marsdinis said...

So beautiful!! What a sweet letter from daddy to daughter!
PS-You rock, Ashley!-I can't wait to hear all the details!

Marsdinis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubrey said...

Ashley, what your husband wrote about your new baby was beautiful. I got choked up reading it. It looks like you and your family are doing great. It's good to hear from you!

Trichelle said...

Amazing! What truly blessed children you have!!

Orr's said...

Oh that is so precious, my mom wrote a journal with letters to all of us and gave it to us when she thought we needed it the most. She gave Chad his when he was struggling with his addiction and me mine when I was pregnant with Logan. I absolutely love reading them. Keep writing them and give it to those babies someday.

Megan said...

I am so glad that you are back to blogging. It has been much too long. That letter is so beautiful. I love hearing birth stories. And isn't it great going natural?! I loved feeling so strong and in control - maybe more so once it was over ;) Hopefully we will get to meet the new addition soon. Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

hello people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices as regards the velcros are about 310 dollars everwhere. But completely I found this locate selling them for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what can you say about it?

Roscoe and Daisy said...

That is simply so sweet! I loved reading it- what a sweet special family you are!